This is a work in progress - use it as a starting point, but please do not consider it a complete reference
Host and Venue Requirements
- 32-36 ft^2 (3-3.33 m^2) per participant
- Space for multiparty tests, host 12 to 15 people, meeting above requirement
- Power for at least 1 laptop per participant
- Endpoint implementors will typically bring several phones
- Server implementors may bring additional servers and occasionally a rack of equipment
- Host should be prepared to provide information on the voltage/frequency of their power
- Host should be prepared to provide a picture of the power plug/power strips that will be used for the event
- The network is the hardest part of hosting SIPit
- Minimum 10 Mbps symmetric connection to the Internet (ADSL will NOT work) (SIPit 25 traffic graphs)
- At least 2 Public IPv4 addresses to enable the VPN to the SIPit network hosted at UNH-IOL.
- Absolutely no port blocking or application layer gateway (ALG) between the participant networks and the Internet
- At least 1 Ethernet port per participant, typically in the form of an Ethernet cable drop to their workspace
- Wireless 802.11 b/g network capable of supporting ~200 clients
- 1 infrastructure phone for each team (teams are typically 1 for each registered company, but a few companies will bring multiple teams)
- Multiparty space should include an Ethernet repeater (hub) instead of a switch
Nice to have
- Printer for the participants to use
- IPv6 global address space
- SIP based infrastructure phones
- Multiparty space should be in the same room as the main event (visibility adds to the attendance)
Rough Planning Numbers
Points to Consider
- The most important component of the SIPit is the network. This is also the hardest component to get and keep running.
- If the space requirement seems large, please talk to someone from your company who has attended a previous event (or call RjS) to get an understanding of how the space will be used.
- Endpoint implementors will have one or more phones/videophones/proto-boards/consoles in addition to laptops.
- Server implementors will have consoles and occasionally racks.
- Attendees move their laptops to other teams' stations while doing direct ad-hoc testing, and need a place to sit. (There need to be empty chairs assigned to each team).
- Reviewing these representative photos may help
- Internet connection must be symmetrical, ADSL and ADSL2/2+ will NOT work
- Event IP Phones and the event IP-PBX (proxy/register) should be on the same network, no routing, only switching
- Ask service provider how public IP addresses will be delivered, routing information
- SIPit20 used 7400VA on Wednesday at 10:30am